Sunday, September 21, 2008

Our Wedding, Chapter One B (By Sheridan)

The day before our fateful trip was an interesting one. Meredith and I taking turns at the computer looking at weather.com and trying to come up with ideas of places to go instead of the Bahamas. From the weather reports, the trip looked to be a disaster. Should we reroute to Maui? Negative. Mexico? No bueno. South America? Are you serious?

After much deliberation and back and forth, we decided to go. Life is an adventure, we said, and our relationship has been an exciting one so far. If we have to get married in the chapel at the Miami Airport, at least it will be a good story for the kids.

5:00 am the cab picks us up, 5:20 we are at the airport wondering where all the people came from. It was as busy as 6 pm on a Friday night. We get on the plane to Phoenix, no problems. We thought we would be able to sleep on that leg, but we were both up, the plane was full. The next leg was Phoenix to Ft. Lauderdale, 4+ hours. Poor Meredith got stuck in the middle seat with some 300 pound guy in the window seat. He was spilling over the sides and slept the whole time. Amazing how he could sleep through all his snoring! I was lucky enough to get the aisle seat, getting my elbow banged ever time someone walked up and down, or the beverage cart was wheeled by me.

Have you flown US Air recently? Don’t. They suck. The seats are small and you have to pay for EVERYTHING!!! Want some water, 2 bucks please. Coffee! A bargain at $1.00 per cup. Meredith and I were starving so we decided to buck up and drop 10 bucks on some snacks. I wait patiently as the Stewardess wheels her cart to my isle, I get my crisp 20 ready and hold it out like I am at a bar trying to get the bartenders attention. She asks the lady across from me if she wants something and the lady goes off about how she paid extra for the exit row and someone else is there. Grrreeeaaattt!! I am starving and my pregnant fiancĂ© is starting to nibble on the arm rest and this lady decides an hour into the flight is a good time to raise a concern??? I thought about grabbing a snack when she wasn’t looking, but changed my mind when I realized I had no exit route. So what if I could out run the Stewardess, I wasn’t about to go D.B Cooper over a sandwich. I hear pay toilets are around the corner. Anyone got change for a dollar?????

Enough about the flight. We get to Ft. Lauderdale and go to Bahama Air for our flight to the island. We go up to the counter to ask the lady working it a question and we have to show her our boarding pass to get her to look at us. What attitude!!! I thought island people were supposed to be happy. Once we showed her our boarding pass and really weren’t wasting her precious flirtation time with the baggage handler, she politely told us we could not have the exit row. Awesome!

We get on the flight, the crew is speaking island language that I can barely understand and we get to Nassau! Mission accomplished. Almost. At this point Meredith tells me that the bus drivers do not work for the hotel and we may have to wait while they try to get other people from the airport to ride the bus. Ok, I think, how long will this take. It can’t be that bad, right? We wait on the bus for half an hour!!! Is there anything worse than spending 10 hours on a plane to get to your dream vacation, only to sit on a bus for 30 minutes waiting to get to the hotel? I think not.

Finally, we get to the hotel! I can finally say Mission Accomplished!!! We, we have to check in. The Bahamas is a little different. Employees walk around the hotel flirting with each other, calling each other “Baby”, “Sweetie”…no sexual harassment laws there. So we are meeting with the “check in lady”, getting our map, all our documents, our wedding binder (in between her taking personal calls)…at this point all I want is the room key and directions to the free bar.

We get our room keys, the bags will be brought up, and we are on our way to the room. Our room is in a building on the other side of the compound so we walk around the two pools and oooh and awww them. We can’t wait to get the vacation started!

We make it to the room and there is the fully stocked bar!! We have arrived. I ask Meredith one more time, “we can drink this stuff, right? It’s free?”

“Yes, baby, it is free”. Awesome!! Where’s the ice?????

No comments: