Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Today in History

So I was walking Baci this morning and saw the front page of the San Jose Mercury News - "Obama Clinches The Nomination" - and seeing this photo just gave me goosebumps. As you know, I've been a big Obama supporter from the very beginning: http://mershow.blogspot.com/2007/08/inspiration-and-hope.html

I love his character, his panache, straight forwardness, that he's totally unlike a seasoned politician that says and does everything with votes in mind, and that he brings a new perspective to the table - he's lived a life like REAL Americans! He's struggled with identity and race, put himself through college and law school, tried drugs, been exposed to all kinds of faiths, and now has a functional, happy family - normal stuff. And hopefully he'll bring our troops home from the Middle East so we can stop losing our friends and loved ones to a political agenda that obviously isn't working and wasn't necessary in the first place. And hopefully he'll be able to bring together a fractured nation after about 10 years of total political unrest (2 years of Monicagate and 8 of Wgate).

Actually, I do like John McCain - he's a decorated war hero and is a good, honest person. But I'm just not sure he has the spunk that America needs right now to propel our history forward in this time of war, financial woes, and desperate need of change. He's the same thing we've had in the White House, with the exception of Clinton, since the 80s. BORRRRRING and not what we need. Oh yeah, and I don't agree with many of his policies.

And last but not least, my Hillary. This is so bittersweet, as I don't think she's the right person for the job at hand, but I've been hoping that she'd make a run at the presidency ever since I shook her hand in Austin in 1996 (she was campaigning for Bill and I got to meet her). I've been watching her, cheering her on, and was ready for the first female president of the U.S. for THAT long... but with all that's happened, she's just not the right person for the job anymore. She's just too polar - like W. was - and our country simply can't handle it. I wish her lots of luck and success in the future.

So today I feel the total opposite of the way I did on November 5, 2004 - I feel hopeful, inspired, and ready for change. Do you?

Love, Mer

No comments: