Thursday, October 15, 2009

Vegan Chili

OK, so my friend Roni passed me a chili recipe a long time ago that rocks my world. I make it about once a week and have been missing it over the last 10 days of my vegan cleanse... So Sheridan and I got creative and tried it a couple of nights ago, using tofu instead of turkey meat. And you know what? It was REALLY GOOD!!! I recommend this very highly, as it's really tasty, filling, and animal product free!





MER'S VEGAN CHILI

1 package firm tofu, chopped into small pieces
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 small onion, chopped
minced garlic - 2 or 3 gloves
4 T chili powder (I use the HEB San Antonio chili powder for those of you in TX)
half a bottle of Shiner Bock or whatever beer you have handy :)

Brown tofu and onions in a bit of olive oil in a large saucepan. When onions are soft and browned, add cans of tomatoes, beans, garlic, beer, and chili powder, stir and simmer for about 30 minutes. I served it with shredded soy cheese on top (see picture of the brand above, although we used the pepper jack flavor; this stuff is SO GOOD) and crackers. YUM!

No comments: