Thursday, February 04, 2010

Crock Pot

So a few years ago, any talk of crock pots actually kind of sent shivers down my spine - "what a heartless way to produce a meal".  It just seemed like a short cut to the type of meal that wasn't welcome in any dedicated foodie's home and I wanted NO part of it.  Well, friends and countrymen, here is example #198709867a that people really can change!  Not only am I married with a kid, living in the burbs and eyeballing an SUV, but I, good people, am now a huge fan of the crock pot.

I received not one, but TWO crock pots for Christmas, and decided that it was time to give this thing a shot.  Now that I'm going to be a working-outside-the-house mother, it could become a very handy tool for feeding my family!  Over the last month, I've tried several recipes and even made up a delicious brisket for Patrick's birthday party that ended up being a huge hit.  Who knew?   I know that I have some crock pot loving friends who read this blog, so I thought I'd post some new recipes that I've tried and were successful for me.  Let me know if you try these and enjoy them!

Recipe 1: Barbecue Chicken


Ingredients:

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups tomato ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground red hot pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients for the sauce in the slow cooker. Add the chicken, try to coat it well with the sauce. Cook on high 3-4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours), or until chicken is fully cooked all the way through. Then shred or cut up the chicken, and replace it in the sauce in the pot; mix it all up so all the pieces are coated. Serve on rolls or alone with veggies... delish!

Recipe 2: Cola braised brisket 

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cola
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon beef boullion granules
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
2 medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 pound beef roast or brisket piece
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons margarine or butter

Directions for meat: Mix all ingredients up to and including red pepper. Reserve 1/2 cup for sauce. Cut meat to fit crock pot. Place onions in crock pot and meat on top of onions. Pour remaining liquid over meat. Cover and cook 10-12 hours on low, 5-6 hours on high.

Directions for sauce: Combine 1/2 cup reserved liquid, ketchup and margarine in saucepan. Heat. Set aside. Shred cooked meat. Serve on buns or tortillas with sauce.


Recipe 3: Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

1.25 lbs ground turkey or beef
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can tomato soup
2 cans diced tomatoes
2-4 gloves garlic, minced
4-6 T chili powder
splash of cayenne pepper
optional: 1 cup frozen corn

Brown meat, add it and all other ingredients to a crock pot, and simmer forever on low or maybe about 3-4 hours on high.  Bon appetit!


No comments: