Friday, November 02, 2007

Guest Blogger - P. Daddy

So I have a new addition to the blog - I have invited several guest writers to be a part of my new series of postings by my friends and loyal subscribers. I look forward to introducing new points of view to this literary debacle known as The Mer Show, and hope you enjoy it too!

Today, I'm proud to introduce Petri, who happens to be my ex brother-in-law, the father of my favorite nephew, husband to my close friend Shannon (and ex sissy-in-law), and simply a cool dude. I hope you enjoy his thoughts on Alanis Morrisette's hit single, "Isn't It Ironic".

--------

Almost nothing Alanis Morissette referenced in her song "Isn't it Ironic" actually qualifies as irony. "An old man turned ninety-eight, he won the lottery and died the next day. It's a death row pardon two minutes too late. And isn't it ironic...don't you think." No Alanis, I don't. These things are not ironic - they just suck.

That her song contains almost no examples of irony is indeed ironic. Here is some guidance as to what truly can be characterized as irony:

Dramatic Irony - A situation in which the audience knows something about present or future circumstances that the character does not know

Definition of Verbal Irony - A contradiction of expectation between what is said and what is meant

Definition of Situational Irony - A contradiction of expectation between what might be expected and what actually occurs often connected to a fatalistic or pessimistic view of life


---------------------------------------

Maybe the song should be called "Isn't it a Bummer?" instead. What do you think?

Thanks, Petri, for being my first guest writer on The Mer Show. You rock!!

Love, Mer

No comments: