Monday, May 04, 2009

Stuff

So things here at the homestead seem to be going pretty well!! Patrick is about 3.5 months old now, but isn't even supposed to be 3 months old until May 12th, since he was 3 weeks early. He weighs about 14 pounds now and has grown 8 pounds in 12 weeks, so it's been a VERY busy bit of time trying to keep up with the little guy's needs! One of my friends asked me when I even had time to SLEEP and I laughed... what new mother has time to sleep??!!

Speaking of sleep, about 3 weeks ago, I had absolutely HAD it with Patrick's waking up every 3 hours and I finally consulted a book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" to see what I could do to get this kid sleeping better. I was standing on the edge of the cliff and needed some encouragement not to jump, and this book talked me off the ledge! Formally, sleep training shouldn't be conducted until a baby's 4 months old, but I got some great tips on how to start a routine that would encourage good sleep habits for a lifetime. As of now, at 14 weeks, we have little P sleeping 8 or 9 hours "food free", meaning I get him to sleep through the night without having to feed him, but I do have to go up a couple of times a night to rub his head and put the pacifier in to get him back to sleep. We're getting there!

The time with Patrick seems to be going SO FAST!! Just last week, I had to pack up all his newborn clothes and put them away (for his little brother someday). I can't believe my little baby is already outgrowing things... wasn't he just born last month?? I really do think that before we know it, this kid is going to be driving!! hahaha

In other news, we celebrated my parents' 40th wedding anniversary this past weekend. It's hard to imagine being married that long - I haven't lived that long! I truly hope that Sheridan and I are around in 39.5 years to celebrate such an occasion. Pics from the weekend attached.

And Sheridan and I have begun the search for a house to set down some roots! This is very exciting news... We've been working hard to figure out our finances, find a trustworthy realtor and mortgage broker, save money by cutting out indulgences (RIP mani/ pedis!) and learn more about local Austin neighborhoods. With the market and interest rates, plus federal tax incentives to buy, it just makes great sense. We still have some timing to figure out, given my return to work (someday), the tax season, and our lease commitment, but there's no hurry. So wish us luck, and we'll keep The Mer Show posted on our progress.

So almost every darn day I receive a stupid email from Runner's World trying to sell me running products, apprise me of races, etc. It's almost a cruel trick, reminding me that it's time to get in shape... I want to know WHO signed me up for this mailing list. Whoever it is is in trouble!! It's driving me CrAzY! But when I get past this little cold I'm nursing right now, I really DO need to get back to the gym and tackle the little bit of extra weight I'm still carrying from carrying Patrick.

So that's the latest! I hope all is well for you and yours, and I'll try to write again soon!

Love, Mer

No comments: