Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mer's Curse on Petco Park

So ever since I was a kid, I've been a sports fan - baseball, football, basketball, even boxing and especially watching the Olympic games. I was a competitive gymnast until I was 17, a cheerleader for all sports, and a certified Texas football nut. I currently own two football jerseys (one UT, one SD Chargers), one foam finger, several pom poms, and even have the Texas fight song in my iTunes!

Growing up, I went from kindergarten to 12th grade with (and attended the 7th grade Valentine's Day dance) with Eric G, son of the Houston Astros 3rd baseman, Phil G. Being in close proximity to this local athlete (George Foreman and his brood of Georges also lived in my community) made me and all my pals growing up especially interested in watching the Astros. I remember watching Astros games from the time I was about 8 or 9, and am still a fan today. In fact, now Mr. G is the Manager of the Astros and led them to the World Series a couple years ago (or was that last year - I can't remember...)!

Anyway, I've finally let go of the Houston Oilers and committed to the Chargers (hence the LaDanian Tomlinson jersey) and even though the Astros are still my fave baseball team, the Padres are a very close 2nd, and as long as they're not playing the Astros, they ARE my fave!

I have been to probably close to about 20 games in the new Petco Park (it opened in 2004), but every single time I go, they lose. I'm not kidding - I don't think I've ever seen a single game in person when the Padres won! KT and I did sneak into the end of a game once, and they ended up winning in extra innings, but there was no ticket purchased, nor did I even see the 7th inning stretch. Maybe that's the key...

I've sat in nosebleed seats, great seats, been to opening day, and one of the last games of the season; someone even gave me tickets once. And every single time I was there, the Padres have lost. If the Padres were smart, they'd pay me NOT to come! But it totally stinks because I love going to games...

So my goal for the 2007 season is to attend ONE baseball game in Petco Park and watch the Padres win. Do you think it can happen? Stay tuned!!

Love, Mer

No comments: