Friday, August 03, 2007

RAVE! Pandora.com

Wow, this site totally ROCKS! My friend Sheridan, up in Silicon Valley, recommended this to me. Perhaps he's more tied into cool technology being up there, I don't know... but I can't talk highly enough about this site!!!!

So Pandora.com is a free streaming music site that allows you to enter an artist who embodies your favorite kind of music, and electronically matches the sound of that artist and plays similar songs continuously, without commercial or breaks, based on that artist you chose. For example, I entered 'Madonna' and the site has been playing amazing electronic dance song after another and I can't stop dancing in my chair today!! You can create different "stations" based upon different artists; I think I'm going to create a jazz channel based on Dave Brubeck and a country station based on Rascal Flatts and see how those turn out.

To achieve this awesome technology, Pandora has been working on the Music Genome Project for several years. The project has utilized 50 musician-analysts that have been listening to all genres of music across all generations, one song at a time, studying and collecting musical details of every song such as melody, harmony, instrumentation, rhythm, vocals, lyrics ... and many more. That allows them to electronically compare songs and group them into comparable genres. How cool is that?!

Anyway, for those of you that listen to streaming music to ease the boredom of a desk job, you should check this out! I hope you like it. And thanks for sharing, Sheridan!

Love, Mer

No comments: