Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bakefest 2009

The cooking bug has struck me just in time for the holidays!  Here are the recipes of the cookies I plan to make today -  I highly recommend both - they're always a HUGE hit!  I actually won a cookie-baking contest with the first recipe about 7 years ago.  (Did you know I am so domestic?)

Love, Mer

Raleigh’s Best Ever Cookies (from the Raleigh Junior League cookbook "You're Invited")

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (18 ounces) crunchy peanut butter
4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 (10 ounce) bag M&M’s or Reese’s pieces
1 cup semi sweet chocolate morsels

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine first 9 ingredients and mix well. Mix in oats. Stir in chocolate and candy.
3. Drop by tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
5. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.



Mer's Amended Toll House Recipe


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup milk chocolate morsels
1 cup white chocolate morsels (sometimes I substitute these for butterscotch morsels and Sheridan goes nutz)
1 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl.  Beat butter, white and brown sugars, and vanilla in large mixer bowl until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts.  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. 


Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Serve and take all the credit!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I will for sure try the first recipe! I have my own "amended" Tollhouse recipe too...I double the vanilla, add a little milk to the dough, and I refrigerate the dough before I bake the cookies. And sometimes I use M&Ms instead of the chocolate chips. Yum!! Happy baking and Merry Christmas, Mer!