Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Two Things

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is swell today. I was pretty grouchy yesterday, but am feeling a whole lot better today. I have a couple of interesting little nuggets for you guys today.

Quiz time - who knows the saying "Beware the Ides of March"? Yep, that's right - it's a statement made in William Shakepeare's play "Julius Caesar", which foreshadowed the assassination of the Roman King on the Ides of March. On the Roman calendar, the Ides fell on the 15th day of March, May, July, and October; and the 13th day of every other month. Caesar was warned, but chose to ignore the warning, and... well, you know....

So every year since I read this play in high school, on March 15th, I feel a sense of foreboding. I remember one year I was on spring break in South Padre Island and I was paranoid that I was going to get in trouble (not that I was doing anything wrong)... Nothing's ever happened to me on that day, but for some reason, that phrase always sticks with me. So friends, beware the Ides of March!

Second, Thursday, March 15th is also the annual Starbucks "coffee break" where they serve free coffee from 10:00 a.m. to noon. I personally think it's a scam to get you to come in and buy their muffins, CDs, stuffed animals, and coffee paraphernalia, but if you can get in and out with only the free coffee... I say go for it. :)

Well friends, I should get to work. Love, Mer

No comments: