Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Circa 1984

So I was listening to the classic rock station on the way to work today and heard an oldie but a goodie. The Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane". Damn, that's a great song.

Picture it - it's 1984, Mary Lou Retton just won the Olympic Gold Medal in gymnastics (we've already covered this), I'm 9 years old and sassier than I ever have been. School's out for summer, it's Cassie Whats-her-face's birthday party at the skating rink, and it's time for the individual roller skating races.

We all get into position and off we go! "Rock You Like A Hurricane" is blasting in the background, we're all racing our hearts out, and I took an early lead. Excellent. Down to the wire, in the last turn of the rink, it's Jada Whats-her-face and me duking it out. At the last second, down she goes, and I sailed through the finish line, winning... I can't remember what the prize was, but definitely pride! That was a great moment in my childhood.

Years later, in high school, Jada insisted that I pushed her down, but I think she's making that up. Would I ever do such a thing? (Crickets...) Well, maybe. If I did, can I blame my mother? :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share that little ditty with you all on this fine Wednesday.

Love, Mer

No comments: