Thursday, April 19, 2007

Public Service Announcement

Hi everyone! Please let me preface my public service announcement with a story.

As you know, I adopted little Baci last week. Since then, my world and schedule has been seriously modified (in a good way!) and I'm still trying to figure out how to carry a purse, gym bag, dog crate, dog, laptop case, etc. etc. etc. at the same time; I'm a mess. With that, on Saturday afternoon, I dropped my cell phone somewhere between my therapist's office, Rite Aid, and KT's house; for the life of me, I couldn't find it for about 48 hours! I went back to the store TWICE, I looked in every nook and cranny in my car and KT's house several times, called my phone, text messaged my number... all to no avail.

I haven't lost my phone since I moved to San Diego 5 years ago (I've gotten new phones, but was able to transfer the numbers). I use my phone for work as well as my primary form of contact, so it has countless numbers and contact information stored. It was very important that I find this darn thing!

Meanwhile, Sunday night, KT ran into a neighbor in front of his house, asking if we lost a cell phone that he found in his front yard (still don't know how it got there; must have dropped it on the way inside). Turns out the neighbor had it the whole time! All those times that I was calling the phone, hoping someone would answer it and alert me regarding my phone's whereabouts... well, the neighbor found it annoying, so he turned off the ringer! I eventually got the phone back, but that was lucky!

Now here's the part I want to share with you all; and I hope you'll tell a friend! You ready?

If you ever find a cell phone, and you have the inclination to return it to its rightful owner... Please either ANSWER THE PHONE when it rings so that the person calling (most likely a friend or family member) can alert the owner to its location, OR call the last number used in the call log to try to reach the owner through his contacts!!! Doesn't that make sense? I've done that for people before, and the owner had their phone back in minutes! Simple.

Not sure why KT's neighbor didn't think of this ingenious (hardly!) idea, but if we can spread the word, perhaps someday it will be empirical knowledge for those who lack common sense.

So please, PASS IT ON!

Love, Mer

No comments: