Monday, April 23, 2007

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Someone asked me today a very intriguing question and it relates to the aforementioned movie. It is one of my most favorite flicks, so the query struck me deeply. Especially today!!

For those of you that haven't seen the flick, the premise is that a guy decides to have the memories of his ex-girlfriend erased (a fictional procedure) after she's had him erased from her own memory. However, midway through the procedure, he changes his mind so that he doesn't forget all the good times (even though more of their relationship was bad than good). In the end, he's not able to hang on, and the procedure does block any memory that she ever existed in his life. In the end, however, they meet again, and fall in love ALL OVER AGAIN! The way I like to explain it to people is that it's a really twisted love story. :)

The question asked was... would you have a procedure done like that to erase someone that hurt you in your past? Or would you prefer to have the painful memories of that person?

My answer was NO WAY - I believe that the experiences that we have in life make us who we are. Each relationship we have, good or bad, helps us determine our priorities, needs, or dealbreakers. As I get older, I feel wiser, and I've certainly had my share of failed relationships - friends, lovers, and even family. However, it would be a shame to erase the life experiences that makes me a fuller human being. Pain sucks, but on the other side, I always become a little bit better person.

Forgetting the pain short term is what red wine is for! :) I'll stick to that while going through my breakup. But forgetting long term? I definitely wouldn't erase my memory of an ex, if I had the chance.

How about you? Love, Mer

1 comment:

ThatsRicci Inc. said...

GREAT movie... kind of wacky.
But your right, it rings back to the age old saying of 'true love' will always prevail. But it definitely tackles, dead on, the idea that true love is not always perfect... and we do need to accept that. Disney doesn't teach us this fact, unfortunately - but shakespeare does.