Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Fourth

Hey peeps. Hope you had a great 4th – mine was really nice. Did some shopping at the outlets in Carlsbad in the morning and hosted a barbecue/ pool party yesterday afternoon. It was interesting… I made homemade salsa, guac, chicken fajitas, and had tons of Coronas and limes; my guests brought sushi and Kirin, Hawaiian decorations, and Spanish tapas. We had a little traditional food, too - grilled steaks, fish, and grilled potatoes. Eclectic mix of foods, much like the American population itself, right? We had great food, drinks, sunshine, swimming, great company, and watched the fireworks show in the Bay from the patio. Oh yes, and I grilled for the first time!! Growing up in Texas, I've always felt that was the "man's job"... guess that's one more reason I don't NEED a man, because I apparently I'm a grillmaster! :)

It was the first year in several that I didn’t spend the day on Mission Bay with all the troublemakers, and I have to say… it was awesome! No drama, crowds, having to figure out where to park, fear of getting in trouble with the cops for littering, drinking on the wrong side of the boardwalk or before/ after the drinking curfew, and dealing with wasted idiots. Yep people, The Mer Show has grown up – preferring a barbecue with good people to partying hearty with the "cool kids" on Mission Bay. I dig it!

To make up for all the meat, beer, and crap I ate all day yesterday, I’m on the raw foods diet for a few days to clean out my plumbing. Tonight I think I’m going to try making this recipe. Whatcha think?

Love, Mer

Spaghetti and Tomato sauce

Ingredients:

1 medium to large zucchini
5 small vine ripened tomatoes
1-2 cloves of garlic
10 leaves of fresh basil
two table spoons of olive oil
sea salt

Cut zucchini lengthwise, and use potato peeler to create long strands of zucchini for “spaghetti”; or you can use a cheese grater to make a smaller pieces. Set the spaghetti aside into the serving dish.

Quarter the tomatoes and place them along with the garlic, and basil in food processor. Pour the mixture into a medium sized bowl and add one to two table spoons of olive oil and sea salt to taste. Mix gently to distribute all the ingredients. Pour the sauce over your spaghetti and enjoy!

No comments: