Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Weekend Update

Well folks, since Thursday afternoon, I’ve been pretty much holed up in my bed, quarantined from the world. I thought I’d have a lot of time and energy for writing on my blog, but I just checked off the planet for a few days. I did catch up on some serious cuddle time with Baci, watched about 20 movies, and got a ton of sleep, but writing just wasn’t in the cards for me. Meanwhile, there have been some interesting things going on in the world, and you know I’m gonna comment on them!

Lindsey Lohan – are you kidding me? She got arrested again last night for drinking and driving, and another cocaine possession. When are these girls going to figure it out and pull themselves together? Hellooooooooooooo - the world is watching you 24/7! And isn’t one instance of getting in trouble enough to make them behave? And so much for rehab – what a joke! Well, I guess I should be glad that at least one person's life is more dramatic than mine...

Speaking of drama, that reminds me... Thursday night, I watched that train wreck of special on Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice, moving to America. I have to confess, I thought it was pretty funny and enjoyed it - I've always been a fan of the culture-based "fish out of water" humor, like Borat. Watching her learn to drive on the righthand side of the road and getting pulled over, cavort with Beverly Hills socialites (who have tons of money, but are surprisingly (well, maybe not) classless), and figure out where to toss the ball when throwing out the first ball at a Dodgers' game - very amusing! I halfway wish it were a regular series, so I could see more, but I'm pretty sure it was a one time gig. I found it very endearing that she was able to laugh at herself so easily...

And I hope that Michael Vick gets the book thrown at him for his involvement in this whole dog fighting business... Either he is a total coward by throwing his family members under the bus, stating that it was their operation and he didn't know anything about it (liar!), or he's a savage animal himself by allowing it to occur on his property. Either way, I hope he gets what's coming to him! Why do celebrities that think they can get away with whatever they want? Don't they know the world is watching them, more so than the rest of us? DUH!

Sunday, I volunteered at the Planned Parenthood booth at Pride Fest in Balboa Park, which is a 2 day festival of musicians, bands, exhibits, and shows to help promote pride and awareness within the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Our goal at the PP booth was obviously to promote safe sex habits within the high risk community; we passed out condoms, dental dams, and all kinds of great information about HIV testing as well as women’s health information to lesbian participants. For those of you that know me, this is a cause near and dear to my heart, so it felt good to get out and volunteer my time for a great cause. And talk about people watching – it was better than any airport in the world!

Did any of you watch the CNN YouTube Democratic debate last night? I didn’t see it, but I did watch the videos today on CNN. I think CNN did a great job with presenting the debates and organizing the YouTube format, which shook things up a bit. Question from American citizens ranged from issues regarding race, education, taxes, the environment, war in Iraq, public service, and more – I was impressed. I’m not sure that I heard anything new from the candidates, but with time, I’m definitely formulating my opinions of each candidate and am very excited with what I see. With all the front runners, I will most definitely be supporting the Democratic ticket 100%. Too bad we didn’t have this many stellar options back in 2004! How different would the world be today?!

Well peeps, have a great week!

Love, Mer

No comments: