Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Not So Deep Political Thoughts, by Mer

Yesterday, the American public spoke and it was interesting to see what it had to say. I love the political process, and respect everyone's opinion, even if it's different from mine. But I just have to voice my favorite parts about yesterday's results:

Nancy Pelosi of California is set to become the first female speaker of the House of Representatives in history. You GO MAMA!

Minnesota voters send first Muslim to Capitol Hill, Keith Ellison, an African-American state legislator and lawyer. That’s pretty darn cool – I like it.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton coasted to a second Democratic term in New York, winning roughly 70 percent of the vote in a warm-up to a possible run for the White House in 2008. Love me some Hillary!

Former CIA Director Robert Gates will replace Donald M. Rumsfeld as defense secretary, after he stepped down, following a very controversial 6 year reign in that role. Ding dong!

The new automated, touch-screen voting system worked, with some minor glitches. Chelsea Clinton was turned away at a Manhattan polling site because her name did not appear in a book of registered voters – the problem was resolved, however.

As of 11 a.m. PST 11.08.06, Democrats have overtaken the House of Representatives, and the balance of the Senate rests upon the state of Virginia. If there’s a tie, VP Dick Cheney will break the tie… obviously meaning that the Republicans will control the Senate. I like that there’s now a better balance in Washington between the Executive and Legislative bodies! Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be? Checks and balances! Our forefathers would totally dig it.

On a state level, I’m personally pretty bummed that Proposition 86 (cigarette tax to fund health research initiatives) and 87 (funding to explore alternative energy sources) didn’t pass. I want to start thinking of ways that I can contribute to promote better health initiatives and environmental protection. Maybe I'll get Club 2128 to start recycling - it's a start!

Anyway, to those of you that did make your voices heard yesterday, I applaud you.

Happy Wednesday! Love, Mer

No comments: