Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Democratic Debates

Did anyone watch the Democratic debates? I have to confess that I didn't... I have had a lot of personal stuff going on, but you know I'm keeping an eye on it. I read today that there was some conversation about religion in politics and good vs. evil, and I am very pleased with the answers of John Edwards of NC, Hillary of NY, and Obama of IL.

First, I have to say that Barack Obama says some awesome stuff! :) I really respect the fact that he's not afraid to make blunt and realistic statements that people need to hear, possibly offending the easily offended - he is so incredibly honest and real and I LOVE that about him. In regard to questions about good vs. evil (one of Bushy's favorite ways to explain this silly war we're fighting), he discusses that it's just not that easy. He stated he believes that examining the evil that OTHERS do (e.g. Sept. 11th) can make us blind to the evil things that perhaps WE do (e.g. the abuse of war prisoners at Abu Gharib or Guantanamo). He furthermore states that if we are pointing fingers, we should always consider ourselves, as well - many times we're probably being hypocrites. Something to consider not only in politics, but for our personal lives, no? (I can't say I'm not guilty of the same thing, though... I'm working on it!)

John Edwards spelled out his very heartfelt beliefs in Christianity and discussed his own moral code, which is actually quite conservative - he does believe that gays shouldn't be married, but wouldn't plan to impose his own moral beliefs on the rest of the country. Although his beliefs are firm and rooted in the teachings of Christ, we shouldn't label the U.S. a Christian country, and if in office, would not allow that. ROCK ON, DUDE!

Hillary, God bless her... she has been seriously tested in so many ways, personally and professionally. You have to give it to her, she handles a great amount of doubt, hate, and has kept her head high when most would wither and disappear under the pressure. I admire her so much for standing proud and strong through so many challenges in her life, and proving a lot of people wrong (she still has her haters, but that's normal - it's politics!). She was asked AGAIN about her husband's infidelity, and handled it so gracefully - she discussed her strong faith in God, which got her through those difficult times. She didn't proselytize her faith or attempt to convert people, but spoke openly and honestly about her convictions, which includes her suspicion of those who wear their faith on their sleeves, too. I, too, feel it's a very powerful and personal journey for each of us, and we should respect the journey of others, no matter how different or unknown.

I really do believe that one of the aforementioned individuals will be the one to lead our country in a new and better direction in January 2009. And so far, I like what I hear!

Mer

No comments: