Monday, June 04, 2007

Weekend Update

Hi everyone. I hope you’re all doing well! I’m doing great! Food is back in my life and I feel pretty happy about that. Friday night I went to Trader Joe’s and went crazy buying food since my fridge was totally empty. The only thing I did while on my fast was look at new, healthy recipes to make for after the cleanse, so it was really fun to collect goodies for my culinary adventures. And it rocks to open the fridge and see fresh fruits, veggies, and all kinds of yummy stuff that I can actually EAT now!

Saturday morning, I got up and had some organic orange juice, and it was like chocolate cake! I’ve never had any beverage so refreshing and tasty in my entire life. That night, I joined the girls to celebrate Kerry’s conclusion of student teaching, and we went to The Grape – a local wine bar downtown. It was adorable! And I ate a TON – cheese, crackers, fruit, salad, and had wine. We went to Ocean Room afterward, and I split ahi sashimi with Kati, as well. I couldn’t believe how much I was able to eat! So much for weaning myself back to food… I was very surprised, indeed.

Since then, I have been enjoying, savoring, and appreciating every morsel I put in my mouth! Food has always been the love of my life, but we have a new relationship and it’s much more meaningful. Tonight I’m making broiled salmon in my special marinade and an Oriental salad. YUMMY! I’ll let you know how it goes, but meanwhile, check out this fabulous recipe Shayne made for us last night. WOW, it was great. Spaghetti squash tastes just like pasta!

Spaghetti Squash Topped with Marinara

1 large spaghetti squash
Minced garlic or garlic paste
Sauteed onion (optional)

Homemade or jarred marinara sauce

Freshly grated mozzarella or Parmesan cheese


Cut the squash in half, and remove the seeds. Lay it face down in a baking dish containing ¼ cup water and cover it with plastic wrap. Microwave about ten minutes or until tender.

Remove the squash from its dish a
nd scrape out the spaghetti-like strands into a bowl. Add minced garlic or garlic paste to taste, and top with marinara and cheese. It takes just like pasta and is super low-carb! (You could also top the spaghetti squash with sautéed veggies or any sauce you typically put over pasta.)

In other news, Baci had an accident free day Sunday – it was his first. I was so proud! I did take him outside about 10 times throughout the day, but he has started lifting his leg to pee on things outside, so I think he’s starting to get the concept of marking his territory. This is great housebreaking progress! Pretty soon, Prasad’s and my house won’t smell like doggie pee anymore and I won't be making the loop around the block 10 times a day. YIPPEE!!!!!!!

So I had a very interesting reminder this weekend that good things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people. Something bad happened to someone I dislike, and somehow I got blamed for it. Well, not somehow… I told her recently that karma is going to pay her back for being such a rotten bitch, I mean apple, so naturally fingers were pointed at me. I understand. But hasn’t she ever seen My Name Is Earl? HELLO?!! Anyway, this was my horoscope today and I just had to laugh:

Well, what was that? Frankly, you can't believe your eyes or your ears. But after the initial shock wears off, you'll just have to laugh. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things, and this definitely isn't yours!

I’ll say it again - life sure is funny. I read somewhere recently that if you’re true to your purpose, fulfillment will find you. I’m definitely committed to my purpose in life, so I feel confident that I’ll be able to look back on my life and feel good about how I lived it and what I achieved. And this master cleanse victory? I must say… that was a major achievement. I'm pretty excited about it. Enough about the master cleanse - it's on to new adventures!

Anyway, have a good week, friends. Love, Mer

No comments: