Friday, May 11, 2007

The Divorce Debacle

Everyone on the planet knows I'm divorced and that the institution of marriage, the dissolution thereof, trends, and analysis of relationships is something that have always fascinated me. I attended grad school for a brief time to study clinical psychology and work toward my MFT (Marriage and Family Therapist) licensure, because the opportunity to help others using my knowledge and experiences interests me very much. However, I decided to continue helping people through my current field - employment recruiting.

Anyway, I came across an interesting article today about the latest divorce trends. The divorce rate is the lowest that it's been since 1981 and experts are currently trying to determine the reasons. Divorces are particularly decreasing among couples who are highly educated - two incomes creates a more comfortable way of life, and therefore fewer stresses. It's interesting to consider that perhaps the old-school model of the stay-at-home mother and housewife perhaps put more stress on a family financially, and therefore more stress on a marriage. Who would have thought that working mothers could actually make for a healthier family? Pretty intriguing to consider...

Another trend which would be decreasing the divorce rate, according to this article, is that more and more couples are choosing to cohabitate without marrying - many times, even after having children. Obviously it's great that the divorce rate is dropping, but it's sad to think that perhaps our generation of adults could be jaded from watching our parents' marriages (not mine, actually - they've been married 38 years, but they do hate each other) and subsequently, families, fall apart? Could our generation be choosing to cohabitate out of fear? That's not good.

Anyway, if you're interested in hearing more, check out the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18600304/

As for me? I still believe in love, marriage, and baby carriage. The eternal optimist in me won't let me believe otherwise... Now whether or not it happens for me is another story, but either way - I plan to live life to the fullest, expect and give the best, and enjoy the journey! And with that, I'm off to a wedding this weekend. :)

See ya Monday! Love, Mer

No comments: